250g plain organic flour from Little Salkeld (unbleached white or 85% mixed)
1/2 tablespoon baking power
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3 tablespoons grated cheese
milk to mix - sour if possible (approx. 150ml but use judgement). If no sour milk available, use fresh milk with a touch of lemon juice
herbs to taste
1. Mix dry ingredients
2. Rub in butter with tips of fingers
3. Add 2 tablespoons of the grated cheese
4. Mix to a soft dough using a round ended knife. Handle as little as possible.
5. Turn out onto a floured work surface and flatten to around 1.5cm deep.
6. Sprinkle with the remaining grated cheese.
7. Cut into required shapes with cutter.
8. Put onto a greased and floured baking sheet in a preheated hot over - 200 degrees - for ten minutes.
145 Houghton Road
Cumbria. CA3 0LD